Commercial Transfer moves Coleg Gwent to new £24m Campus
As one of Wales' largest and top performing further and higher education colleges, Coleg Gwent gives the best possible opportunities to all its students.
Commercial Transfer’s Education team transferred all equipment and effects into their brand new £24 million purpose built campus that is now the home for all post 16 education in the Torfaen borough.
As the new £24m purpose built campus became ready, Coleg Gwent needed to move all the furniture and equipment from the Pontypool Campus to the heart of Cwymbran.
The move required considerable planning to gradually transfer departments across as each phase were completed. The move included a wide range of specialist and unique teaching equipment including workshops, machinery, IT equipment, offices and teaching materials each of which had to be set up in their new location or distributed to other campus'. One final move was planned to transfer the final departments and administration and close the Pontypool Campus.
Planning the phasing of the move, took many meetings and revisions as plans changed and the Covid pandemic impacted education.
With the final move delayed, Commercial Transfer not only needed to adapt their plans and schedules to meet the revised deadlines but also reconfigure equipment to allow students to return to a safe teaching environment.
Commercial Transfer were able of offer the complete service from end to end.
- Move Management: Our Move Manager worked with the building surveyor initially to plan the move, then re-plan to react to the changing situation.
- Crate Hire: Three types of specialist crates were included as part of the move including specialist IT crates and book crates. We also provided security roll cages to move bulkier and delicate equipment without the need to handle.
- Packing Services: By providing crates, labeling and tracking, the college were able to pack much of the general move themselves, bringing in our specialist teams to pack and equipment such as the library, laboratory & IT equipment and chemicals.
- Tracking: The final move involved the final 13 departments. Our teams used a coded tracking system throughout the move to ensure that each department and crate was delivered to the right location in the new building..
- Specialist Vehicles: As the Covid situation evolved, we were able to work with the college to adapt our solution to best meet the changing requirements, we were able to draw on our flexible resources and were able to double our team and lorries at short notice to make the move happen on time
Taking just 5 days, for each move, the faculty was up and running with the minimum disruption to research.
Just want to say a massive thanks to you and your team for pulling it out of the bag this week, it's been a pretty seamless and painless move (for us at least!)"